Friday, January 13, 2012

how I learned what it feels like to be a big sister

So as I've been reading back through my old posts, I found I have not given justice to a very important part of my last year at school. In October of last year I found out that Provo High was looking for an assistant basketball coach to work with the Freshman and Sophomores. At that point of my coaching minor I didn't have an internship lined up and I was quickly running out of time. Thinking I surely wouldn't have the time to commit to this with such an important rugby season on the horizon, I set up an interview and went to just see what it would be like. The minute I walked into that gym I knew I would be staying there. The feeling of how right it was, that this was where I needed to be was overwhelming. Luckily the coach liked me and liked what I could bring to the team, my internship was officially in the works. As I watched the girls playing I was reminded of how much I loved and missed basketball. Rugby had been so important for so long, but basketball was my first love.
It was a new experience for me, stepping into the role of coach. None of these girls knew me, I didn't even really know if I knew what I doing, but it still felt so right. I was very excited to get started and I knew it would all work out eventually. Tryouts started as rugby was finishing up and the first thing I noticed was how different basketball in Utah was from basketball in Texas. In Texas, freshman basketball teams were all experienced. Maybe not spectacularly good, but almost all the girls had been playing ball for at least 2 or 3 years. Watching the first day of tryouts I saw girls who had been playing for years and girls who had maybe shot a basketball 3 times. It was a daunting task ahead, but for some reason that made it more exciting. Coach Moore brought in two other girls (former Provo High players and current BYU students) to work with me and the Freshman/Sophomore squad. Ellen and Karissa were the best co-coaches anyone could ask for. As we got our team set and our practices going I knew we were going to be hard-pressed to not have fun with the group we had. Between the girls and the coaches there was never a dull moment at practice or any team function for that matter. Team dinners, warm-up, bus rides. Always laughing, [almost] never not laughing. The really special thing about this team was their heart. We may not have had the most talented team in Utah, but they gave so much of themselves, they wanted to make us proud as coaches. We didn't always win, but I wouldn't trade that team for any other.
I didn't think I would get so close with my girls. That's a lie. I knew I would get attached to them, but what I didn't expect was how much love they expressed to me. I'm pretty sure I got more hugs in that one basketball season than I think I got in all 4 years of college. It's hard to describe the kind of team dynamic we had, but it was one built on love and respect. I wanted my girls to love basketball like I loved basketball even if they weren't winning, I wanted them to be able to feel proud of their accomplishments even if it wasn't 20 points a game. Telling them that I wouldn't be there to coach the next season nearly broke my heart, having to say goodbye to them was like leaving a part of my family. It became about more than just basketball with them, it was an experience I wouldn't trade anything for.
They tell me all the time how much they wished I was up there coaching this season and they tell me all about their games. I know I went to Provo High for that meeting for a reason and I know those girls were that reason. So to all my coaches; Moore, Ralphs, Liz, Ellen, and Karissa, to all my girls; to Remi, Taylor, Hayley, Sarah, Tiare, Lisa, Elle, Kate, Kelly, Adri, Asay, Sam, Maddie, Emily, Rachel, Noa, Michelle, Sierra, Dewey, Dani, Tala, Cindy, Chelsea, Shelby, Sammi, Melaina, Jenessa, Weez, Alexis, Koop, and Al, I just want to say thank you. You've made me a better person and you've taught me more than I ever thought I'd learn as a coach. This won't be a season I will soon forget.

1 comment:

  1. You really are such a great coach! It was so much fun watching you teach those girls and loving them. You were meant to be a coach! Good job girlie!
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete