Sunday, February 5, 2012

and now we wait.

Remember how I am terrible at being patient? No? Let me explain. I am not a patient person. In almost any sense. I get frustrated when I'm stuck in traffic, I hate being stuck behind people that walk slow, I can't stand waiting on test results/grades of any kind. Basically, I just don't like waiting. Stefanie makes fun of me a lot because I like to do things fast and she prefers to do things slowly. It's even become a running joke with our nieces. When they do things slowly they say they're like Aunt Stef and when they do things fast they say they're like Aunt Kayla. Through this whole mission prep process I've spent a lot of time praying for patience and making a conscious effort to be more patient. I knew there would be a lot of waiting I would have to do and my lack of patience was going to make those waiting periods feel a lot longer than they actually are. So when I finally got all my paperwork done and handed off to the Bishop I prepared myself to wait. He had to finish a few things, then send them to the Stake President, then the Stake President would talk with me, then he would finish his part, then they would be sent to Salt Lake, and then FINALLY my call would make it's way back to me. That's a lot of waiting. But I wanted to prove to the Lord that I could do it. That I would patiently wait and know that good things come to those who wait.
So I waited. Bishop sent everything over to the Stake President. I waited some more. Stake President's Interview finally got set up. I waited for that to happen. 3 weeks from when I handed everything to the Bishop and now it's out of my hands completely. Tonight my papers electronically fly to Salt Lake City where they will be reviewed and I will be assigned a calling as a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. This will be the hardest wait for me. At least I think. I think it will be the hardest because I want to know where I'm going and when I get to go. I have always had a love of knowledge and knowing things. I want to know everything about where the Lord wants me to serve. I want to research it and study it and figure out what I need to do to prepare. But I can't do any of that until I get that big, fat, white envelope in the mail. So I will wait. And I will be grateful for the waiting because I need to learn to be more patient. I will wait and pray and study what I can. I will fill my time with work and rugby and writing long-winded blog posts that tend to ramble. I am so excited for the day when everything comes full circle and I find out what the future has in store for me. I will wait patiently for the day when I get to be surrounded by people I love as I open that big, fat, white letter and see what the Lord has in store for me. And then I will wait again. For the day when I get to give 100% of myself to share a message I hold near and dear to my heart. A message of hope, peace, and love.
Sorry for the rambling. This is what happens when I'm trying to be patient. In other news, we are now accepting guesses for where I will be called to serve. A giant map will be in my house for the next few weeks where all guesses will be marked and we may even come up with a prize for whoever gets closest. Stay tuned cyber world, the waiting will all be worth it in the end.

1 comment:

  1. Waiting is the absolute WORST part! I just remember that day when my call was supposed to come and then it didn't!! Thankfully it came the next day, but I definitely waited outside by the mailbox practically the entire day for it! Anyways, I'm just saying that I definitely understand where you are at right now and also that it is HARD! Good luck!! I thought I was patient, until I saw that my call said (when I got it back in October) that I would leave at the very end of March. And again when they moved it back to April 18th. So yes, being patient is very hard, but I wish you the best of luck and I support you 100% :)
    I love you Kayla! I am so excited for you to serve a mission! and definitely let me know where you are going!

    ReplyDelete